Giant Sequoias

Since moving back to California one of my goals has been to see more of this beautiful state.  It's so massive that it's going to take me a long to see all of it, but hopefully every few weekends I'm able to explore a little more of it.  

Recently I visited Sequoia National Forest with my Mom and Grandpa.  Grandpa had been wanting to take Mom and I to see the 100 Giants - a grove of giant sequoias a couple of hours from our home for a while so we finally picked a day and went up.  We had a lovely time visiting on the drive up and enjoyed listening to Grandpa point out various things we saw along our drive.  He told us lots of stories about Uncle Ken and also explained to us the types of plants and animals we were seeing.  He also told us stories of his youth that I had never heard before.  Even if they day had ended there it would been a good day.  We finally made it up to the trees and they did not disappoint.  Some are 1500 years old and are so massive you have to crane your neck far back to see the top of them.  The trail is just over a mile long loop that takes you around the grove of trees.  While it's not very long and an easy path, I would still plan on spending a couple of hours there since there is so much to see.  It's definitely a place you don't want to rush through.   
Fun fact of the day - sequoia is one of the only words in the English language that has all 5 vowels.
The air was cool and crisp and smelled fresh and clean.   
 I will let the pictures do the talking, but as you can see it's a beautiful place to visit and definitely worth going to.  If you live in Bakersfield don't wait as long as I did to go - it's a quick day trip and totally worth it.

  

  
Cute Mom and Grandpa. 

Eeee I love chipmunks!!  
   
Can you see me peaking out of the hole in the tree below? hahaha  
  
   
We met a cool couple visiting from New York.  He teaches a high school class in NYC that is basically like a giant field trip for students.  They come from all over and spend a semester in New York exploring the city.  What a great idea! 



 Looking at the rings in the trees.

   


  


No Response to "Giant Sequoias"

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger