St. George Marathon


"CONGRATULATIONS!!! 
We would like to congratulate you on being 1 of 7600 runners selected for the 2013 St George Marathon. We will be hosting runners from all 50 states and 18 countries. We would like to thank you for your interest in our event and we look forward to seeing each of you cross the finish line October 5, 2013!"


That message is currently staring at me in my inbox.  Oh boy.


Running a marathon has been on my bucket list for years.  I'm not a runner by any means, but it's such an epic athletic accomplishment that I've always wanted to be able to experience it at least once in my lifetime.  However, the enormity of running 26.2 miles was put in perspective for me after I ran two half-marathons in college.  I have never pushed myself so hard physically (and in some ways mentally too). There were so many positive aspects to each run, but boy, were they hard. The first one ended with me in tears and the second I was sick from dehydration.  Running that far is just plain hard, especially for a non-runner like me.  But nonetheless, running a marathon stayed on my bucket list to be accomplished some distant day.  Well, that day has come much sooner than I anticipated.  If all goes well, I will run my first marathon this October 5 in St. George.  

This all came about because my Grandpa's brother, Bob, was one of the founders of the St. George Marathon, which I think is pretty awesome.  He passed away last October and in honor of him, anyone in his family has been invited to run in the marathon and can bypass the lottery.  My immediate family has all jumped on the bandwagon and there will be 7 of us running - Mom, Dixon, me, Steph, Emily, Aunt Heidi and Uncle Keith.  

Here is a paragraph from Uncle Bob's obituary describing his involvement with the St. George Marathon:

"In 1971, Bob, along with Sherm Miller, were the first organizers of the first St. George Marathon. He competed with the fifty-five other runners. Roma was sitting at the finish line recording the times of the runners as they finished. He has run nine marathons, including the Deseret News Marathon, Boston Marathon and the Redwood Marathon in California. His best time was 3:02 in St. George."

So yep, I'm running a marathon.  I'm really excited and really terrified.  I can run about 3-5 miles max at the moment.  Pray for me!  I am going to do a four month training program for beginners and hopefully it is enough.  All I want to do is cross that finish line, even if it takes me 6 hours and I crawl across it.


3 Response to St. George Marathon

June 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM

yay!!! you can totally do it! running with you that summer before I did the st George marathon was so fun, I miss it! And If you think a half marathon feels like an accomplishment, this will blow it out of the water. it's awesome, and you'll get hooked. :)

June 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR.

and so, so brave. :)

July 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Good luck to you! It will be my first marathon as well. : )

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger