701 - Two Years in DC

Last month on April 1, Haley and I celebrated our two year anniversary in DC.  I can't believe it, but the second year in DC went by even faster than the first.  In keeping with tradition we went to 701 for a delicious dinner.  We opted to go with the pre-theater menu to save a few dollars, although my Mom kindly ended up offering to pay for dinner just like she did the first two years.  Thanks Mom!

The food and service were great and we talked about the highlights and lows of the past year and all that has changed in the 2 years since we've moved here.  As time went by, it never felt like anything very big or momentous was happening, but as I look back I see just how much really did happen.  Moving cross-country without any sort of job and only knowing one person is a big change in itself.  Then came my first "real" post-college job and that was a huge learning experience.  I moved again to be closer to work and in a better area.  I traveled multiples times.  In addition to those big events, the most noticeable effect DC has had on me is the way my sense of style and taste of food has evolved.  They're still very much a work in progress, but I've come a long way in both areas.  I especially realize this when I go into old favorites and find that I just no longer enjoy the same things that I used to.  American Eagle and Outback Steakhouse both used to be places I enjoyed going to, I now find myself avoiding them in favor of places like J. Crew and 701.   

I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to live in such a historic, beautiful city and be surrounded by such driven, interesting people.  There might not be a 3rd year anniversary here since I'm considering moving away, but no matter what DC will always be one of my favorite cities.  I'm working on creating a DC guide for anyone planning on visiting DC, so stay-tuned for that.

You can read about the first time at 701 Here
and the second time Here



 We might have accidentally lit the break basket napkin on fire...whoops.  However, the staff still loved us and made us free virgin drinks.



After dinner we talked for some time with some of the management at the restaurant as they wanted our opinions on certain aspects of the food and presentation at 701.  Haley was able to give them a very good breakdown of what she felt was working well and what wasn't there.   I think her calling in life is to be a food critic because she not only knows and understands the way food should taste, but she can articulate her experience in a well thought out and appropriately humorous way.


1 Response to 701 - Two Years in DC

May 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

omg i love this post. so fun. i am not ready for you to leave :'(

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger