Joshua James

In 2006 I went to a Guitars Unplugged show at BYU and heard a lot of amazing artists perform their original material live.  I was so impressed with what I heard that I bought the CD afterwards and found myself listening to it regularly.  My favorite song was Lord, Devil & Him by Joshua James.  I played it again and again and again.  Something about it just resonated with me.  Fast forward 7 years (last month) and my friends in DC are inviting me to a concert in Vienna and I say I'll go before I even know who's playing.  Well, it turns out it's Joshua James, the same one I heard at BYU years ago.  I went and was totally blown away.  His voice is incredible, he has great stage presence, his songs are heart-felt and catchy and there is just this indescribable energy when he's on stage.  He's sings and performs about as passionately as possible.  He's entertaining to watch because he'll be singing and then all of a sudden he'll start prancing around the stage and contorting his body like Johnny Depp on crack.  I think the key to really appreciating him is to watch him perform live.  I listened to some of his new songs a few hours before the concert and liked them, but it wasn't until after I saw him actually perform them that I was totally hooked.  My friend Haylee was friends with him back in Provo and so after the concert we went up and talked to him for a bit.  He was so humble and kind and likeable.  He's already gained quite a following, but I have no doubt he'll only get more popular as time goes on; he's a true talent.

If you want a bit of an idea of what he's like just watch THIS.  Even just the first 2 minutes will give you an idea of who he is.

Kat, Haylee and Karli are such fun girls.
Joshua James' catchiest song is Queen of the City which I would suggest looking up.  The music video is a little bizarre though, so be warned.  But I guarantee that you will be singing that song the rest of the day once you listen to it.

Here is a haunting, beautiful song he performed that I really liked.  Only problem is that I can't find it on iTunes.
This is the song that I loved when I heard it in 2006.  My version is every so slightly different.  Unfortunately in this video there are a lot of people talking, but hopefully if you can get past that you can get a feel for the song.


2 Response to Joshua James

April 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM

When I read the title of your post, my first thought was, "Hey isn't that the one guy from Guitars Unplugged?" Lo and behold. That's awesome you got to see him especially after my memory of hearing that song on every time I walked in or past your dorm room the rest of that year. ;-) It was so good to see you again last week. Thanks again.

May 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

YAY Joshua James! Thank you so much for having me look him up, I agree with everything you said about him here, especially after seeing him live. He's so captivating! Oh and I love the Cheyenne Wyoming song too, and I know you said you couldn't find it on iTunes. His Beware! EP comes out May 7 (happy birthday to me! lol) and it's going to be on that record! Yay!

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger