New York - Haley's Birthday

In late November Haley, Susan, Rachel and I went to New York to celebrate Haley's birthday and had a wonderful time.  We were just there for two days, but fit so much in during that short amount of time.  

It wouldn't be a trip to New York without having to navigate the Subway.  For the most part I feel very confident about being able to figure out how to use New York's Subway System since it's pretty simple, but without fail there is always some aspect that is incredible confusing and I get the feeling that New Yorkers like it that way - it's like they have their own little secret system that only they understand.  There is always some line that no longer stops where it says it does, or it's only express now, or it switches over to this or that despite what the map says.  We figured it out, but I think it would be helpful if they provided a little more information about any changes happening at the moment.
What is he hiding in there!?  Biggest dew rag thing I've ever seen.

Haley's friend Susan so generously used her hotel points so we could stay for free at a Marriott in Brooklyn.  We found a cute little diner nearby and were greeted by the most friendly employees.  I ordered Steve's Omelet and come to find out, Steve himself was there and visited with us while we ate.
Later that night we went out to eat at Beauty and Essex which required a reservation a solid month in advance.  Only in New York would you need to make a reservation that far ahead of time - crazy.  Good thing Haley does her research and knows what's what in New York.  The outside of the building is completely unassuming, but once you walk in you're greeted with a beautiful interior and lots of well dressed people.  It feels like walking into a secret club.  It was a wonderful place to eat and I was just reading in US Weekly that Tom Cruise went there and was hanging out with one of the managers.  


I loved the decorations they had inside.  For instance, near our table were lots of picture frames with hanging necklaces - what a great idea!
The food was delicious.  Small plates, but extremely high quality.  When I eat food like this I sigh to myself and wonder why all food can't be this divine.

Cutest and most delicious birthday cupcakes for Haley.




While Haley and Susan went to a show I went back to Rachel's hotel (she was staying with a different friend) and hung out with her.  All the hotels in Manhattan seem to have so much personality - it's like they're trying to see who can be the most hipster/trendy and it makes going into each one really fun.
We were getting ready in the bathroom when I pulled out my phone to take a picture of some concealer I really liked of hers and ended up accidentally taking this picture instead.  Later we met up with an old friend of hers from high school at a cool little place in Brooklyn.
The next day Haley and I met up with her cute friend from elementary school that is now an attorney living in NYC.
We went to this delicious Ramen place for lunch called Ippudo NY in Manhattan with her and her boyfriend.  The line was really long, but apparently in New York if there isn't a long line then it's probably not worth eating at, according to them.  I'm new to ramen, but quickly becoming a fan.  
Haley and I borrowed bikes from our hotel and rode across the Brooklyn Bridge which was super fun.  That is something I have always wanted to do and it was just as amazing as I thought it would be.  Maybe next time I will go across at night to see the city all lit up.


Aside from the bridge itself, it was really fun riding through Brooklyn neighborhoods, feeling like a local on a cool autumn day.  We really lucked out weather-wise.
Next stop - Central Park!  I was amazed at how many fall leaves were still on the trees - it was just so beautiful.  I love fall.  And more and more I'm loving New York.


We went ice skating in Central Park.  So awesome.  It's not something that was ever on my bucket list, but after going I realized that I did something that I've always really wanted to do it (whether I realized it beforehand or not).  Everyone, put this on your bucket list.  It's always fun to ice skate regardless, but especially in Central Park - it feels like you're in the middle of a movie.  There is more than one rink, but we went to Wollman's Rink.
Before we left we had to explore Dylan's Candy Bar.  It's a huge candy store owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter. They have about every candy ever created.  A diabetic's worst nightmare.
This macaroon wasn't particularly tasty, but it sure was pretty.
Very fun trip to New York!  So glad we could go to such a fun city to celebrate wonderful Haley's birthday!


2 Response to New York - Haley's Birthday

January 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Lauren! You are so beautiful! It looks like you are loving life in DC. We need to have a catch up phone call this weekend. It has been too long! I love you girl!

January 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

omg best. blogpost. ever. ever. ever. EVER!!! so glad you came and so glad you are so great about documenting stuff like this. oxxoxoxo

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger