The Best American Short Stories 2010


“The Best American series is the premier annual showcase for the country’s finest short fiction and nonfiction. Each volume’s series editor selects notable works from hundreds of periodicals. A special guest editor, a leading writer in the field, then chooses the best twenty or so pieces to publish. This unique system has made the Best American series the most respected – and most popular – of its kind.”

In elementary school at the end of ever year we had Star/CTBS testing.  There were always reading comprehension sections which required us to read a short passage and then answer questions regarding what we read.  Without fail I would always get so absorbed by the story I was reading that I'd completely forget I was taking a test.  When I came to the end of the story I was always disappointed to realize that I still had to finish the test.  However, I think this is where my love for short stories originated.  

Luckily, there are books such as this, The Best American Short Stories, where I can get my fill of short stories since I no longer participate in standardized testing.  I recently finished this book full of short stories and really enjoyed it (I started with 2010 randomly, but plan to read the other years as well.)  Short stories are wonderful because it gives you enough time to get into the story without having to invest a large amount of time into it.  I loved some of the stories and didn't care for others at all.  I would read one each night before bed and it was really nice to have such a variety of stories - you had no idea what each was going to be about until you started reading it.  I read about everything from gambling, to circuses, to psychiatry sessions, to hot air balloons, to Holland flooding, to a deaf girl falling in love with a photographer.  Love and death, disappointment and hopefulness.  There's a story in there for everyone.  And a few that are worth skipping as well.  If you're like me and enjoy short stories then I highly recommend this series.


No Response to "The Best American Short Stories 2010"

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger