Food in DC Part 1

This post is all about food!! I've been incredibly impressed with all of the delicious restaurants found here in DC. I'm sure you've been wondering why I haven't been posting about food lately in my posts like usual and that's because I've been saving all my food comments for a post of their own. And this post started getting so long that I've broken it up into three parts.

I've been spoiled for life with all the food I've been eating out here - I don't think I'll ever view food the same after all of the incredible things I've tasted in DC. I'll include the places I didn't love so much either to be fair, but for the most part it's all been amazing.

Let's start with Matchbox. It's a very popular and delicious place to eat. There are a couple of them around town which makes it even more convenient. There's a always a line on the weekends, so be sure to get there early.
You MUST get the sliders. I got a different kind of cheese on each burger. So good.
Their pizza is great too. I tried the fire and smoke pizza. I'm really turning into a thin crust pizza girl with a variety of quality toppings.
In Georgetown there is a little crepe place that I'm obsessed with called Crepe Amour. I've always been a dessert crepe person, but this place has converted me to savory crepes because of how good they make them. This one has basil, mozzarella, tomatoes and chicken. Everything about it is delicious.
Another fun place is Serendipity. The atmosphere is great, however my sundae was only average. It tasted like all the ingredients were low end grocery store products. I guess I just have high a very high standard for desserts or ordered the wrong thing. I've heard the frozen hot chocolate is great though and plan on getting that next time.



Wok and Roll in Chinatown has very good sushi. I feel like it is on the expensive side for the amount that you get, but it is really good. I really liked my sushi roll and highly recommend the Moo Shu pork dish - I can't stop thinking about it....soooo good.
Another classic is Shake Shack. It's new to DC and is most famous in NYC. It has great burgers, fries and shakes. Especially great shakes. However, I felt like my body was about to explode of grease after I finished my meal. That is a disturbing analogy, but that's pretty much how I felt. Super good food, but you pay for it physically.

Sometimes you don't need anything fancy, just good. Panera is a great place for this. Reminds me of Zupas in Utah. This is a chain restaurant, yes, but can be very satisfying for a light, quick meal.
Cafe Asia - pass on this one. Overrated. Everybody and their mom loves this place and so maybe we just went on the wrong night or maybe Haley and I just have higher expectations than others, but it didn't live up to its reputation.
I went through a long phase of being totally obsessed with Chopt. It's basically the Coldstone for Salads. You pick your ingredients, they chop them all up and put them together in a bowl. So yummy and healthy. It's about a 20 second walk from my office so I go there all too often. The best thing they offer though is their salted caramels. They have a little seasalt in them which makes them straight up perfection. I'm obsessed. The girls at the cash register totally know me now because I order them all the time, even if I don't buy a salad.
A friend at work recommended this place and it is amazing! Cowgirl Creamery (love the name). It actually originated in California (no wonder I like it so much) and is totally all about cheese. This store was made for me.
It's close enough for me to walk to at work which is dangerous. I tried their Mt. Tam cheese and it was delicious. It reminded me of Brie and Camembert. I bought a loaf of bread and went to the court yard at the American Art Museum and ate it.
More to come!

2 Response to Food in DC Part 1

October 30, 2011 at 8:21 PM

LAUR!!! My mouth is literally watering right now. I'm coming back to DC and we are just going to eat the ENTIRE time! Glad to hear you are going to Chopt a lot, I will just live vicariously through you :)

November 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM

oh em gee. nom nom nom. let's go try some new places!!! yayyyyyy!!!!

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger