Annapolis Cup

Last Saturday Haley and I went to the Annapolis Cup in, you guessed it, Annapolis. It's a famous croquet match between St. John's and the US Naval Academy that thousands of people come to watch. It's completely free which is a big plus. Most people bring blankets to sit on, pack a lunch and socialize more than watch the game itself. Spectators are encouraged to dress reminiscent of the The Great Gatsby era which I think is pretty awesome.

As I've mentioned before, Annapolis is the cutest town.




Haley and I took the dress code to heart and dressed up! Haley wore a fancy hat and I wore a "fascinator" a la Kate Middleton.


Thanks to Haley for letting me borrow it for the day, I felt much more prepared for the occasion with it on.


Side view. This is definitely a huge step above the small headbands I typically wear, but it was fun to have on for the day because I felt much more dressed up with it.


Haley literally must have had 20 people stop her and compliment her on her hat. Everyone loved it! She bought it at a hat shop here in DC. There are actually a few stores to choose from which is kind of cool, because before coming out east I didn't really think women wore hats anymore.


Here we are sitting on the grass close to where the game was going on. We picked up a boxed lunch from whole foods on our way which worked out perfectly.


There were tons of people there! The announcer said it was the most people they'd ever seen.


Here are the Navy boys playing. Supposedly the boys from St. John's dress up as something each year when they play but I guess I never saw them play cause I didn't see any costumes.


Croquet is actually pretty fun, if you get a chance to play it you should. However, watching it being played wasn't the most exciting thing I'd ever seen.


The best part of the entire day was looking at how everyone was dressed!! The Satorialist would have been so proud of me, I took dozens of pictures of people who were dressed great.


Even the children look adorable! He could have been a Gap baby model!


We saw lots of families, alumni and people our age at the game. And supposedly St. John's started this competition so that they could have something that they could beat the Navy at. And it's worked out pretty well so far for St. John's; they've definitely won a majority of the time.


I have never in my life seen so many boys dressed up like this. It was amazing to see because you'd never find this in a million years in Bakersfield or Provo. Lots of pastels and bow-ties.


This guy even has the cap going on. I don't think I'd love it if boys dressed like this all the time, but on occasion it is really fun.


And look at these hats. I'm telling you, everyone was dressed up! Girls of course, but all girls love to get dressed up, but this just proved that boys do too...they just need a good excuse to.


However, some people went back further in time than the Great Gatsby era...


Look at that suit coat. Who knew boys had such style?


Hello suspenders.


Cardigan wrapped around the shoulders? Salmon colored pants? I mean, where else do you see straight men dressing like this? And yay for their patriotism in holding up the flag.


Check out those pants.


Loved her dress and cardigan.


Afterwards Haley and I stopped at an atm machine inside a hotel but got sidetracked reading about the Royal Wedding in the newspaper.


Had to take a pic by the water.


Such a fun day, definitely want to go back next year!


5 Response to Annapolis Cup

May 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
May 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM

i love everything about this post. minus the ugly photos of me, but i love this post so much i'll let that slide...this time...tehehe ;)
omg yes, if everyone dressed this fab EVERYDAY, i'd love it. i love boys with style. the sartorialist would be proud...and hey, so am i :)

May 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM

i love all the awesome outfits! also, your hat looks fabulous

May 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

hats are awesome =]]] and my really good friend just decided to go to the Naval Academy there in september woohoo =] So I will now have two people to visit in D.C.

May 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM

okay that just looks like it was a blast. so fun. and you ladies look gorgeous with the headgear.

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger