Curling

Curling wasn't high up on my to-do list in life, but last week I had the opportunity to go with the people that I work with and it was surprisingly fun! After a large company conference we went to the Olympic Oval as a fun, get to know each other better activity.
These stones were the ones used in the Olympics and cost $1,400 each! Dang. They're very heavy. Curling is thought to have originated in medieval Scotland.
We broke into two groups and had had lessons from instructors who taught us all of the basics. There is way more to know than I expected! In the past whenever I saw curling on TV during the Olympics I changed the channel and thought, Why is that a sport? What's the point? Well, turns out there is a lot more to it than I expected! It definitely requires skill.
It's actually really fun! Although I was misinformed that we would be given shoes to wear there, but weren't, so I curled on the slippery ice in my boots! Curling reminded me a lot of Bocce Ball - same general concept.
There I am on the right starting to sweep as the stone is coming towards us.
Getting ready to release the stone. I have a little bit of curling in my blood - Grandma Horlacher's Grandpa was really good at the sport. Must be a Canadian thing.There goes Kristin!
One of the coaches, who's been curling for a very, very long time.
Even our CEO got in on the action!
You can take lessons for $10 at the Olympic Oval in Salt Lake on Friday nights if you would like to try yourself! Trust me, it's fun. Plus, how many people can say they've curled before?

2 Response to Curling

March 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM

That looks like it was a blast! And judging by the pictures you definitely had some of the better shoes on, haha!

March 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM

For a p-day activity on my mission we went curling. Definitely a Canadian sport!

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger