Sprained Ankle

Steph and I are planning a ski day tomorrow and I'm reflecting about my last experience skiing in April. My friend got us discounted lift tickets to the Canyons and we had a wonderful time until the very end. Here is the blog I wrote but never posted.

"Because it was so sunny the snow wasn't at it's best. It was pretty frozen solid in the shade and a little mushy at parts in the sun. Added a bit of challenge to skiing on snow like that, but it was still a lot of fun. Just before the lifts closed we were coming down the end of a run and all of a sudden I hit a patch of "sticky snow" as they called it and just fell. It happened so fast I don't really remember how it happened, I just knew that I fell and heard a popping sound on my way down. I was only a couple hundred feet from the end of the run, so I tried standing up and putting my skis back on. My right leg really hurt, but I could stand so I figured that was a good sign. I somehow managed to ski down to the bottom (except I probably looked like it was my first time ever because I went so slow and had zero form). Steph was waiting for me and I went and found a place to sit and took off my boots and the lower part of my right leg was throbbing, so we went to the ski patrol building and had them take a look at it. They thought that maybe I had fractured my ankle so they built me a temporary splint out of cardboard, put ice on it and gave me directions to the nearest Urgent Care. I asked if I could just wait overnight to see if it felt better the next day and they said they wouldn't risk it and to just go have it checked out right away. My first thoughts were, "Oh no!! I have to graduate in just a couple weeks, I don't want to have to limp across the stage!! And I'm going to the Middle East/Europe, I don't want to hobble around everywhere with a bulky cast on!!" So Steph was a little angel and drove me to the Park City Urgent Care where everyone was super nice. Despite living in Utah for 5 years, I've never had to go to a doctor here, so this was a first. We only had to wait about 15 minutes before they took me on back. After hearing what happened and feeling around the doctor felt like it was probably fractured too and had some xrays taken. But luckily when she looked at the xrays she couldn't find anything wrong with the bones!!! So she said I probably tore some of the ligaments around the bone and essentially I have a sprained ankle. They wrapped my foot up, put a little splint on it and gave me crutches. And I think the popping sound I heard must have just been my boots hitting my skis or something, not my bones. I am so, so, so happy that it wasn't worse and I don't have to have a cast. It will still take 3-6 weeks to fully heal, but I usually heal quickly and I think I will be fine sooner than later. And of course it would happen on the very last run of the day on the last ski day of the season (The Canyons closes this Sunday for the season). So I now have my very own pair of skis, but I also have my first ski injury!! It doesn't hurt too much as long as I take Ibuprofen and don't put much pressure on it."

At the Ski Patrol office they built me a temporary cast of of cardboard, ice and tape.
At least my toenails were painted :)
A week or so later they sent me this little card, how cute and thoughtful is that?

I had texted Erin from the clinic letting her know what happened and when I got back to my apartment later that night she had made a nice rib dinner and had balloons for me! Is she the sweetest friend in the world or what? I was only on crutches for a few days and then just limped around for a while. It's totally healed now, although I still do not have full mobility like I used to. And by that I just mean that it doesn't bend as far as it did before. Not a big deal unless I'm doing squats. Good thing I don't do those very often!

1 Response to Sprained Ankle

Anonymous
January 22, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Sorry to hear about your sprained ankle, how long will you be on crutches with the bandage for? Cute pedicure though!

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger