Flying to Australia

I'm so excited to have finally caught up on my blogging enough to start posting about Australia, New Zealand and Fiji!

We left on July 16, 2010. Here are some of us waiting to board the plane in LAX. We learned very early on what a unique person Dylan was (note the bag of ice on his head) and I barely knew Kalli, the girl next to me, at this point but we became really close during the trip so it seems appropriate that she is in my very first picture. And Maddi is just awesome.
We had random seat assignments on the plane but ironically I would become very good friends with these two. (And Lisa was in front of Blake!) It cracked me up when the male flight attendant was bringing by dinner and Mandie declined and he promptly responded, "Well, let me do SOMETHING for your 2,000 dollar ticket." haha, we had the funniest flight attendants on this flight.
We flew on Qantas and they are the BEST! I highly recommend flying with them, unless you like to travel with Furbies. Notice their safety pamphlet below - no furbies allowed! bahahaha, what the heck!? Who even has one of those anymore?
High heels are also not allowed on the emergency escape. Anyone who is thoughtful enough to take off their shoes before evacuating the plane probably needs to reconsider their priorities.
We made it to Brisbane! We are feeling the effects of our 13 hour flight, but so excited to be here!! We didn't actually get to see much of Brisbane because shortly after arriving we flew to Cairns (pronounced Cans).
Do they mean that the toilet is disabled or did they mean to say that it is for disabled people? hmm
We could see the Great Barrier Reef out our window on the plane!! So awesome!
G'day! I really felt like I was in Australia after seeing this sign.
While we were waiting for the vans we observed some very interesting birds - haven't ever seen one of these back home.
Blake and Eric were totally amazing for taking on the challenge of driving on the left side of the road. Yes, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji all drive on the opposite side of the road. I really only noticed this in England when I was crossing the street, but we drove a ton in these countries so I got to see it from the car's point of view and the first few days I found myself randomly freaking out because we were on the wrong side of the road!!! Then breathing a sigh of relief as I realized we were actually on the "right" side of the road. Whew. It's a good thing they didn't let me drive.


1 Response to Flying to Australia

November 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Oh man. I can't read this and look at your pictures without this huge knot forming in my stomach urging me to go back to Australia.

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger