Too Cool for School

For the first time in 19 years I am not going to school this fall. Whoa, that's weird.

I can remember my first day of kindergarten as a 4 year old at Stockdale Elementary. Mrs. Powell sat us all down in front of her on the floor while she sat on her chair and read us The Little Engine That Could and I remember thinking, "This is baby stuff." Even though I was a bit younger than the rest of the kids I was ready for school and ready to learn and felt like they were moving a little too slow for my pace. I laugh every time I think about that now.

I'm really grateful for my parents and their never-ending support in my schooling. I feel lucky that I was born with a strong desire to learn and that school was something that came naturally to me, but especially that it was always such a priority in my family. 18 years is a really long time to dedicate to learning, but it was so well worth it. I certainly don't remember everything I've learned, but I think the important thing is that I learned how to learn.

It's strange for me to think that I might never go back to school again. I am still considering graduate school, but regardless I absolutely know that I will always continue to learn whether in or out of school. In the last few weeks I've memorized the poem Invictus, have mastered and have almost finished memorizing Fur Elise as well as a few other songs on the piano, and read a ton (just started reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy). Learning opens up new worlds and ideas and skills that make life so much more meaningful.

Even if I'm not currently receiving a formal education at the moment, I truly do feel like I learn something new every day. Especially since right now I am working on two internships in Provo. One is at the United Way and the other at the Utah County Health Department. Learning a ton, getting involved in some great programs and meeting lots of incredible people.

No Response to "Too Cool for School"

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger