Fight Club

I asked Steph 2 Christmases ago what she wanted and she told me about a few books she'd like. One of them being "Fight Club." I'd never seen the movie and had no idea what it was about, but it just seemed like the last book in the world I'd ever want to read, but I bought it for her anyway. Well, she read it and loved it, then let our friend Joseph borrow it and he loved it so he passed it onto our friend Evan and then I got it somehow. Well, before giving back to Steph I decided I'd read this book to see what all the hype is about. And you know what? I really, really liked it. It is completely ridiculous and yet, somehow it just works. I have never read anything quite like it, and although their are some gross and disturbing parts, it totally made me think in a different way. I loved that it is unique and different from what I normally read - unpredictable with a fantastic twist at the end. I don't think I'd recommend this book to everyone, but I personally thought it was fascinating and think I'd even like to reread it.

On a sidenote, if they can edit movies and songs, why don't they ever edit books? I'd love that so much if they did.

The book has been underlined many times from everyone who has borrowed this book from Steph, but only after reading the story did they really make sense. Here are some of my favorites:

Page 28, "The charm of traveling is everywhere I go, tiny life. I go to the hotel, tiny soap, tiny shampoos, single-serving butter, tiny mouth wash and a single-use toothbrush. Fold into the standard airplane seat. You're a giant. The problem is your shoulders are too big. Your Alice in Wonderland legs are all of a sudden miles so long they touch the feet of the person in front. Dinner arrives, a miniature do-it-yourself Chicken Cordon Bleu hobby kit, sort of a put-it-together project to keep you busy."

Page 31, "I tell the single serving friend sitting next to me..." Joseph said this part reminded him of me because of all the random friends I have made while traveling. How interesting that some do become true friends and others are just so temporary.

Page 44, "You buy furniture, you tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. buy the sofa, then for a couple of years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled, then the right set of dishes, then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things that you used to own, now they own you.”

Page 52, "At the time, my life just seemed too complete, and maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves." Don't agree, but interesting thought.

Page 150, "Me, I knew my dad for about six years, but I don't remember anything. My dad, he starts a new family in a new town about every six years. This isn't so much like a family as it's like he sets up a franchise." I thought this was such a funny way of looking at it.

Page 207, "Why did I cause so much pain? Didn't I realize that each of us a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?" Classic.

In the afterward he talks a little about everything Fight Club has inspired and how before the movie there was the book. He talks about inspiring Versace to sew razor blades into mens clothing and young men legally changing their name to Tyler Durden and he also says, "Before the students of Brigham Young University fought for their right to beat one another Monday nights, insisting there was nothing in Mormon law that prohibited their 'Provo Fight Club.'" Oh wow, really guys?

No Response to "Fight Club"

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger