Dubai

Went to Dubai last weekend and it was fantastic! According to Wikipedia, as of 2007 it was the 8th most visited city in the world! It also has over 70 shopping malls and the world's 7th largest mall. It is expected to accommodate over 15 million tourists by 2015. I've heard it described as the Las Vegas of the Middle East and I agree! Huge, active city in the middle of a desert! Our first taxi driver said that when he first moved to Dubai in 1995 there were only 4 big buildings and now there are too many to count! So hard to believe how much growth and progress has occurred in the last 15 years here. There are tons of buildings, hotels and malls. When I was doing a little research about it I read, "Some might even compare it to the computer game Sim-city where expansion has no limit." I can relate to this comment because I've played that game quite a bit and Dubai really is like that. Dubai also has the world's tallest building - the Burj Khalifa. Pretty remarkable. Went up it which was very cool. Another thing Dubai is famous for is the Burj Al Arab which is known as the only 7 star hotel in the world and is in the shape of a sail. It's built on an artificial island in the shape of a palm tree and Tiger Woods famously hit a golf ball off of the very top of it.

A car picture for fun!
The flight attendants on Gulf Air wore these cool scarfs on their heads. Had a very Arabian feel to it.
Hello lots of tall buildings!
Steph brought a book about viruses and bacteria to read for fun. Good grief, what a smart girl.
We stayed at the Kempinski and it was super nice! People there to wait on you hand and foot!
Possibly one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in! At night they turned down your bed for you and left you little slippers and turned on music on the TV. Loved it!
Yay!
Cheesy, but hey we were excited! I love staying at nice hotels!
View from our room of the pools!
They had tons of cute little hygiene kits which I loved, but this was probably my favorite - a teeny, tiny Colgate toothpaste! It was so cute!
There were tons of snacks in the room including a chocolate bar made with Camel milk!! I ate it and liked it. Not my most favorite, but it was cool to try.
Hi guys! I had my camera in the pool with me and took this of them sitting on the lawnchairs.
Steph and I hanging out by the pool. So relaxing and nice!
Stephy, the little mermaid.
The girls in the pool - this is the life!
Synchronized swimming! haha
The malls here are unbelievable!! I'm not even joking when I think this one connected to our hotel in Dubai had every store I have ever heard of plus at least 1000 more. The number of jewelry stores and high-end designers in one place blows my mind - how do they stay in business. Plus there are many, many malls all just like this. But I guess when it's a million degrees outside the best place to go is the mall where it's air conditioned.
Had a wonderful dinner at the hotel. They brought out this cute and really good appetizer!
I of course had to take a picture of my dinner. Spinach and Ricotta Canelloni.
Staring up at the Burj! Many more pictures from the top to come later. They're on my other computer and I haven't uploaded those yet.

If you ever wanted to see what the word "stop" looks like in Arabic, then here you go! Most things in the more populated areas over here have words written in both English and Arabic.
Seeing pictures like this are fairly common.
Leaving Dubia - took a picture from the back of the taxi. About half the taxis we took there were Lexus. Fancy shmancy!
Connected to the lobby of our hotel was this indoor ski place! How crazy is that? Skiing in the Middle East! No comparison to the slopes in Utah, but still pretty cool!

And there is Dubai! It was really great to go over there and see what all this hype is about!


1 Response to Dubai

May 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Amazing experience. You are some lucky girls who deserve this trip of luxury.

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger