Who Needs Esperanto When There's English?

Last month, English added its 1 millionth word, according to Web 2.0. Interestingly, the average native English speaker uses around 14,000 words, but experts say you can get by using just 400 words and 40 verbs. Only 25% of Modern English is derived from Old English; the rest is from Latin, French, Greek, and 350 other languages, making English very accommodating. English is the official language of more than 50 countries and some estimates put the number of total speakers (native or otherwise) at close to 2 billion.

Given its status, is English on the fast track to becoming the world’s first universal language? Or is a universal language unnecessary?

I read this above article at the link I posted below a few days ago. I thought it was really interesting because it's something I thought a lot about while traveling around Europe. I felt so grateful that I spoke English because it seemed to be the most widely spoken language. English certainly wasn't everyone's first language, but almost everybody I met had taken English classes at some point in their lives and could speak it decently. Like at the airport in Sweden, English translations were written below almost every sign. I wondered how French or Spanish people felt - there was no translation for them written anywhere. I had no idea how widely English was accepted and spoken across the world, but it was everywhere from France to Sweden to Russia. Maybe it is on its way to becoming the first universal language.
http://www.soulpancake.com/view_post/428705/who-needs-esperanto-when-theres-english.html

No Response to "Who Needs Esperanto When There's English?"

Life is Good All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger